Monday, July 03, 2006

Cream of Spinach Soup, Anyone?

I didn't eat meat the entire month of June.

Don't ask why I decided to forgo meat for one whole month because there isn't a reason. I just decided to see if I could do it.

The answer: yes, I can do it, easily. I still ate dairy products and eggs, just no beef, chicken, pork, fish, shellfish, etc. I'm not sure I could ever give up cheese, but giving up meat wasn't too hard. There were some tough moments, naturally, but I found that generally I did not miss meat in my diet.

Why I liked going meatless
1. I ate more vegetables. There was one time at my mom's where the only non-meat foods were potato salad and carrots. There wasn't a lot of potato salad but the carrots were endless. I ate a lot of carrots.
2. I didn't overeat. Several times (three times eating out and a BBQ at my dad's) I could have ended up eating too much but didn't because I had opted for just the nonmeat sides. I finished the meals feeling satisfied but not stuffed.
3. Variety and creativity. I had to find new things to make and order new meals at restaurants in order to keep to my goal. I found many new foods to enjoy. My favorite new recipe: Mix one smashed avocado with a can of black beans (rinsed), lime juice, and a little fresh cilantro. Spread hummus on a flat pita (not the kind with the pocket - flour/wheat tortillas can be substituted, too), then spread with some of the avocado mixture. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds. I folded it like a burrito and enjoy!
4. Accomplishment. I like achieving goals, even if they are just for the heck of it.

Why I'm glad to eat meat again
1. Tuna fish sandwiches. I had one for lunch today and had forgotten just how yummy they are!
2. Chicken. I thought I would have missed chicken more than I did. Anyway, I have several chicken breasts in my freezer that need to be used and now I can.
3. Hmm. I can't think of a third. I guess there are only two reasons.

Overally, it was a good experience. MUCH easier than last year's fruit juice fast!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear that one reason that people are vegetarian is because of the way animals are treated in captivity....anyway I think that was a cool experiment. I might try it sometime :)

julie said...

It's true, there are many good reasons to become a vegetarian... but none of them applied to why I tried it for a month. Silly, maybe, but true. :)

Booklogged said...

Good for you, Julie. Sounds like a fun project. I think if it was just Myke and I we would eat more healthy. I would like to have fish more often and lots of vegetables. I could get by easily without beef; chicken would be a little harder to do without. Greg will eat eggs, milk and cheese - anything that doesn't kill the animal.

Cassie said...

Wow, I know I couldn't do it. I love meat too much and am not really a vegetable fan. Though I can see how you wouldn't eat as much during the process which is a plus.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Hooray for you! You are amazing at making goals and sticking to them! You've got integrity, you always have.
I think it's good at times to try out self-mastery in our diets, although it's difficult thing to master. I could NEVER do a tuna fast. Tuna keeps me going.
AND loved your avocado/hummus/pita recipe. Must try!

Cardine said...

Smashed avocado... mmmmm...

Is there something up with comments? I haven't been able to comment, and now it says there are only three, and there are actually four.

Cardine said...

I mean, five.

julie said...

Cassie, not having meat wasn't as hard as I would've guessed. I love meat, too, especially chicken! I filled my plate with so many other things that I didn't even miss the meat. At my dad's BBQ I had so many salads and side dishes that I wouldn't have had room on my plate for the hanburger! That said, I'm super glad to eat meat again. I missed those tuna sandwiches!

Alyson said...

I don't know if I could really do that. I think I could actually give up red meat. When I lived on my own I hardly ever made anything with hamburger. I ate mostly chicken at home and fish or chicken at restaurants. I do love a good roast though.

tearese said...

I almost never ate meat when I lived on my own, but I didn't really replace it with equivilant foods, so I wasn't that healthy.
I had avocado on a sandwich today. mmm/.

warnser said...

Hmm makes you think,
I think.
Many people don't think of fish as meat, but then what is it?

I am reminded of a movie.
"What!? no meat??...
It's ok, I'll make lamb."

I was fairly meatless when I lived in europe, but that was mostly out of fear.

I don't care what anyone says! They do not treat their meat the same way we do.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience, And I am glad you are now eating your tuna, and chicken.

I'm not a huge carnivore, but there are some foods that just taste better with meat,
(like a tunafish Sandwich)