I didn't eat meat the entire month of June.
Don't ask why I decided to forgo meat for one whole month because there isn't a reason. I just decided to see if I could do it.
The answer: yes, I can do it, easily. I still ate dairy products and eggs, just no beef, chicken, pork, fish, shellfish, etc. I'm not sure I could ever give up cheese, but giving up meat wasn't too hard. There were some tough moments, naturally, but I found that generally I did not miss meat in my diet.
Why I liked going meatless
1. I ate more vegetables. There was one time at my mom's where the only non-meat foods were potato salad and carrots. There wasn't a lot of potato salad but the carrots were endless. I ate a lot of carrots.
2. I didn't overeat. Several times (three times eating out and a BBQ at my dad's) I could have ended up eating too much but didn't because I had opted for just the nonmeat sides. I finished the meals feeling satisfied but not stuffed.
3. Variety and creativity. I had to find new things to make and order new meals at restaurants in order to keep to my goal. I found many new foods to enjoy. My favorite new recipe: Mix one smashed avocado with a can of black beans (rinsed), lime juice, and a little fresh cilantro. Spread hummus on a flat pita (not the kind with the pocket - flour/wheat tortillas can be substituted, too), then spread with some of the avocado mixture. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds. I folded it like a burrito and enjoy!
4. Accomplishment. I like achieving goals, even if they are just for the heck of it.
Why I'm glad to eat meat again
1. Tuna fish sandwiches. I had one for lunch today and had forgotten just how yummy they are!
2. Chicken. I thought I would have missed chicken more than I did. Anyway, I have several chicken breasts in my freezer that need to be used and now I can.
3. Hmm. I can't think of a third. I guess there are only two reasons.
Overally, it was a good experience. MUCH easier than last year's fruit juice fast!