Thursday, May 25, 2006

Title-Schmitle: I REFUSE to be Limited!

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?
Do you sit by a stream, and lazily dream, while clouds go rolling by?
Is that what you do? So do I.


Since graduating I've read 7 books; all of them had over 500 pages. With all 7 I felt an absolute compulsion to read until finished. When I was at work I couldn't wait to get home to get back to reading. I didn't want to play with my friends, see my family, or even sleep until I was done. I hate putting a book down until I've finished it, even if it's a book I've read before - though the compulsion isn't as strong; unless it's a mystery, then it doesn't matter how many times I've read it or that I already know "who dunnit".

I realized that with all the reading I was doing I was spending a lot of time cooped up in my apartment. So, I started going to the park. I would spread out a blanket beneath a tree and read to my heart's content. One time I looked up at the tree and saw one of the prettiest sights I can remember. Another time I put my book down for a moment to watch the clouds go rolling by. I love picking out shapes and figures in the clouds. When I was a kid my cousins and I had a game where we would pretend the clouds were food items. We'd create a magnificent feast from those clouds. Aly, do you remember?

So, I've decided to stay put. I'm not moving and I'm not getting a new job. Actually, I may get an additional job, but I'll stay at my current job, too. I really want to pay off my car and student loans a.s.a.p., and a second job would certainly help me do it. My sister-in-law, Ree, works at Home Depot and suggested I apply there. I did. I'm not really qualified - I know nothing about home decorating or remodeling. On the other hand, I'm a quick learner and very friendly. They'd be fools not to hire me! If I don't get a second job, I'll be fine financially, but what will I do with all that free time!? Tee hee.

Last night I attended my nephew's preschool "graduation". It was so fun! I wish my graduation had been so enjoyable. All the kids were so adorable! They sang songs and danced a bit. There was this one little girl who almost made me start thinking it wouldn't be so bad to have a child of my own. Almost. A couple from my ward was there watching their oldest son graduate. We talked a bit and laughed at some of their son's antics during the program. I thought how much I like the members of my ward. They are so friendly! I feel like I belong. It's one of the reasons I decided to stay put. My family is another. My little niece and nephews are so cute and fun to be around. I treasure my relationship with them.


Of course, now that I've made the decision to stay at my job, all heck breaks loose. I've become totally destructive. Yesterday I broke someone's ear mold (a part of their hearing aid) and almost broke L's computer, and today I broke someone's ear hook (a part of their hearing aid). Sigh. I may not have a job much longer if I keep this up! No, fortunately I have a wonderful boss who just makes fun of me (gently) when I do things like that. He's a good man. He and L are the other reason I'm staying.

Now, don't give me a hard time if I change my mind. I figure this decision has a short shelf-life, and I may have to remake it every few months. Until then, though, it feels good to have made a decison.

11 comments:

Alyson said...

Of course I remember those delicious cloud feasts!! I'm glad to hear you mad a decisions, but I think it should change to...I'm going to move up to the Wasatch Front to be closer to my two cousins (and many other not as important relatives) who will be living in that area. Doesn't that sound like a good decision to make. Just kidding. I enjoyed coming to visit you in Cedar, and will hopefully get many more opportunites to do just that.

P.S. If any of those other relatives on the Wasatch Front are reading this, I was just kidding about "the not as important" part.

Myke Weber said...

Wow! What would I do with all that time. Go fishing with your brother I expect...read books....play with the grandkids more....I'm so jealous!

Aly, what about your important relatives in Vernal?

Booklogged said...

Isn't it blissful to be in nature reading? What isn't blissful is finishing your delightful blog and NOT KNOWING what books you've read in the last 3 weeks and how you felt about them.

How funny that you guys tried to see food in the clouds. Why didn't I ever do that. They were always animals to me. I just had an ahaa moment -- I couldn't ever see chocolate in clouds!

Looking foward to seeing you all this weekend.

tearese said...

I think theres another part in that song: "...and lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by.." at least, that's how I sing it to Elora.
Good luck with all your plans. Maybe I'll see you on the fourth!

tearese said...

which park? When I quit a job I really hated, I celebrated by going to Canyon Park and taking pictures on the trail in the early morning light. WHenever I look at them, I remember how great that day was.

Cardine said...

Yay!!!! You're staying.

Second job, what? Just when I'm thinking that I work too much, you go and talk about getting a second job. Are you trying to humble me?

Cassie said...

Doesn't it feel good to have made a decision. You and Aly are so good. I do agree with Aly though on changing your decision but then of course who would I stay with when I go down for the Shakespeare Festival. Its a conundrum. Well, I might see you all this weekend if I dare drive my car out there. we'll see. it won't be until Sunday.

julie said...

Cassie, I hope you can make it, it's always great to see you!

I did think about how much fun the three of us would have if we all lived close. Oh well. This way we have somewhere else to go to get away from it all. Hey, you guys should come down and we should go to Bryce Canyon or Zion. That would be fun!

Tearese, the park I like to go to is Canyon Park. I prefer the west side because there are more trees.

Carrie, even if I get a second job I think you will still work more than me. Tax season alone would put you over!

Booklogged, I can tell you about the books I read when I see you this weekend, if you're interested.

Thanks for your comments, everybody!

tearese said...

Did you take the tree picture in your post? I like it.

julie said...

Frogtracks, welcome to my blog!

Tearese, I wish I had taken that picture, but I didn't. I hardly ever use a camera and the one I have isn't digital. Nope, I just find pics on google that fit and use them. Glad you like it, I did too!

Anonymous said...

What? A second job... then we'd NEVER see each other!