Monday, June 29, 2009

My Weekend

This last weekend, I traveled up north to visit Adam.

And we got engaged.

Just kidding!

We really just decided to start dating again.

Just kidding, again!

No really, several people really struggled to understand why I'd go visit him if we're really just friends - we must be getting back together for me to go just to see him. Well, we are really just friends. Can't a friend go visit another friend? (That's a rhetorical question, I know the answer. It's "yes".)

Anyhoo, I had a great time. Adam's sister, Diana, let me stay with her and her family. I love them! I'm glad Adam and I are still friends so I can see them every so often. (There are other reasons, too, Adam!) His sister is so warm and welcoming and I've liked her from the first moment I met her - 4 years ago. Her husband is a quiet guy, so I didn't really get to know him, but he was really helpful Saturday - I'll explain later. Their kids are adorable. So well-behaved, polite, fun. Their third child, Ashley, was baptized on Saturday, so Adam's parents were also staying with Diana and her family. It was certainly a full house, but a fun full house. Everyone was so nice to me. I never once felt uncomfortable. In fact, I felt a part of the family the whole time I was there. I really appreciated it.

So here's a quick run-down of the weekend's activities, then I'm going to share some interesting moments that happened.

Friday: arrived around 7pm; toured Diana's home and was introduced to Joe and the kids; Adam's parents took him and me out to dinner - cute restaurant, delicious omelet!; played games with Diana, Adam's parents, and Adam's nephew Daniel; Adam and I watched Amelie - it was fantastic!; talked with Adam 'til 3am; went to bed and slept like the dead.

Saturday: was woken up at 8:30 by Addie, Adam's 12-year old niece in whose room I was sleeping, because she had forgotten her dress - she was so cute and polite and we had a nice conversation; woke up because I couldn't get back to sleep and got ready for the baptism; baptism went from 11am to noon - it was pretty standard except for the bizarre opening prayer; ate lunch with Adam at Kneaders - very tasty; Toys R Us for a present for Ashley (neice who was just baptized); tour of Adam's apartment; back to Diana's to change clothes; art museum - found a few paintings I'd actually buy if a) they had been for sale and b) I had the money set aside for such purchases; drove around looking at interesting homes (I LOVE doing that) and the Krishna temple; browsed an antiques shop/bookstore; ate dinner at Diana's; ran to the mall for a thank-you present to give to Diana and family; played games 'til 2am with Diana and their parents (they actually only made it to midnight); went to bed and slept like the dead.

Sunday: tried to wake up early to go for a walk but my body refused; finally got up and got ready then went to breakfast with Adam (who paid, grrr, I mean - thank you!); went back to Diana's and looked at a few of his family pictures; ate lunch with my host family; toured the garden; played games until time to leave; loaded up my car (which took awhile, see #4 below); said my goodbyes; drove home; other stuff unrelated to my trip; went to bed around midnight and slept like the dead.

Now for the interesting moments: (in no particular order)

1. Adam's dad: "So, Julie, when are you coming to Kanab to visit us?" It surprised me, quite frankly, so I stumbled a little bit with my answer - They know that Adam and I aren't dating, so why would they want me to visit them? was all I could think. I take it as a compliment, though. They must like me. I like them, too, and if it wouldn't cause assumptions to be made, would be happy to visit them. It was just funny and a little awkward at the time because it took me by surprise.

2. Adam's mom: "Buy a diamond!" When Adam and I were leaving to go to the mall, his mom shouted this from the dining room. Neither Adam or I heard her say it, but Diana told us about it later. Again, I take it as a compliment. When a mom likes you enough that she wants her son to marry you, that's probably one of the highest compliments you can get. Still funny, though.

3. Diana: "You better watch out, Julie, I think Daniel likes you." Daniel, if you recall from above, is Adam's nephew. His 28-year old nephew, in case you were thinking of some cute liittle 7-year old. This really took me by surprise. I'd only been in the guy's company for a few hours and had had no clues that he had taken a fancy to me. Her evidence was compelling, and funny, so maybe he did develop a little crush. Again, I'm flattered if it's true but am not interested.

4. Me: "I'll take it!" At the antique store, I stumbled across an old (though not antique) secretary hutch. The tag's price was too good to be true, so I assumed it was just for the hutch and not the drawers upon which it sat. I asked Adam if he thought I'd be able to fit both pieces in my car, and he said he thought I'd be able to. I asked the owner about the price, just to be sure, and was told it was for both pieces. Without a moment's hesitation, I said I'd buy it. I bought it, Adam's brother-in-law came in their surburban to take it to their house, then we had lots of fun figuring out how it would fit in my car. It didn't. Not really. With Joe's help, though, on Sunday we rigged it so that I was able to make it home with both pieces intact. Thanks Joe! Now they rest at my mom's house awaiting my brothers return to town this weekend. Then they (my brothers) will pack them up to my 3rd floor condo. My brothers don't know this plan yet, so please don't tell them. Maybe they'd decide not to come down afterall. *smile*

5. Addie: "Can you stay another night?" Adam found out that he didn't have to work today (Monday), so Addie asked if I'd stay longer. I really liked Addie. I liked all the kids, but I liked her the most, so I was touched that she wanted me to stay longer, even though it would've meant giving up her bed another night. It's fun to be liked.

6. Daniel: "I should probably stay here tonight in case Julie and Adam want to go back to our apartment." He said this to Diana. Again, Adam and I didn't hear it, Diana told us later. Don't ask me why he thought I'd go back to their apartment that night (Daniel and Adam share an apartment, in case you're a little slow on the uptake) or what he thought we'd be doing there. It's funny because I'm beginning to think Adam hasn't done good things with my reputation amongst his family. Four years ago, a distant relative of his came up to me at one of Adam's niece's wedding (again, don't picture a 7-year old) and asked if I was still living with Adam. Now this! I either scream "hussy" or he's not painting a flattering picture of me. *smile*

It really was an enjoyable weekend. The best part was getting to hang out with Adam. We do better as friends than we ever did as more-than-friends. In fact, he's become one of my best friends. He knows me better than most, accepts me with all my flaws, and can read me almost as well as my own family. I really love him like a brother-friend.

Thanks, Adam, for inviting me for a visit and for making it such a fun trip!

10 comments:

tearese said...

Sounds like a fun trip, all in all. Its nice to have a whole family like you...even if you don't know what they think you're doing with their boy!! Yikes.
So, what was so weird about the prayer.

Adam said...

You have flaws?

Cassie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! And lucky you, you get another, dare I say, possibly even more fun weekend coming up in only three and half days! Can't Wait!

Cardine said...

I love fun friend-visiting weekends! And I can't wait to see your new piece of furniture. Wahoo!

Adam said...

By the way, my mom really liked your post, but she can't figure out how to comment. She also said that Dad invites everybody to visit, so don't feel obligated.

Framed said...

Hmmm, I've always thought you were a hussy. Good to have my intuition confirmed. (That was a compliment) It does sound like a fun weekend. I hope you don't "sleep like the dead" again this coming weekend . . . silly me, you guys don't sleep, do you?

Mellissa said...

How fun to find a great piece of furniture with the right price! I'm glad you had a great time hanging out with his family. Can you elaborate on the bizarre opening prayer at the baptism? You piqued my interest.

julie said...

Tearese, it is nice to have them like me, especially because I like them too. I hope that I'll get to hang out with them again since Adam and I are still friends. I'll tell you about the weird prayer in a bit.

Madman, yes. You know that better than most. Thanks, though. :)

Cassie, I'm totally excited for this weekend too! We'll have so much fun. I hope you're bringing your walking shoes, though!

Cardine, I'll invite you over once I get the hutch into my home and spruced up. We could watch a movie!

julie said...

Madman, I'm glad she enjoyed it. I kind of wondered how she'd feel about me writing about her and your Dad. Privacy and whatnot. I just really enjoyed spending time with them. And who knows, maybe I will go visit them! (Will that give the wrong impression, do you think???)

Framed, I'm glad you think being a hussy is a good thing. Um...thanks. :) And actually, I'm totally hoping to sleep like the dead this weekend - at least 8 hours a night. I'm way sleep-deprived. Sometimes that makes me less than my normal chipper self. I'd hate to be sub-par when Cassie is here.

Missy, it was way fun to find such a great find! It helps that I'm always looking for something to put in my house to make it better.

julie said...

Okay, here's the prayer tidbit:

Adam's niece Ashley was baptized along with her cousin from the other side of her family. This girl's other grandma gave the opening prayer. At first it was fine, saying the normal things one would during a prayer. Then she starts addressing the girl in the prayer; "Brooke, this" and "Brooke, that". Like, "Brooke, remember that there's someone else here who isn't here in body but here in spirit". It seriously became a talk addressed to Brooke instead of a prayer to Heavenly Father. And it was long. Uncomfortably long. Oh, and she started to cry. I started praying for the prayer to be over. I thought about looking over at Adam to gauge his response, but thought better of it because I knew I'd get the giggles and wouldn't be able to stop.

It made us wonder later if this grandma had been a little peeved at not getting to say a talk like the "shared" grandma. And, we found out that her husband had recently died, so it explained a few things. Still, an odd prayer. I've never heard anyone address someone other than God in a prayer before. Maybe I've been sheltered???