Monday, November 05, 2007

Keeping Busy

Was it only last week that I was saying I need a hobby??

I certainly didn't need one this weekend. Saturday was especially busy - I was on the go ALL DAY! It was fun, though, so I'm going to tell you about it.

6:30-8:00 am (YES - A.M.!!!) - woke up at this unheavenly hour in order to get showered and dressed for work. Yes, work! (I don't normally work Saturdays, in case you didn't know.)

8:00 am - drove to the hospital.

8:03-8:37 am - set up my booth for the hospital's annual(?) health fair.

8:37-11:15 am - looked in approximately 50 pairs of ears with a video otoscope (so the inside of the ear showed up on a monitor) and explained at least 50 times what we were looking at. Fortunately, most of these ears had normal ear drums and normal amounts of wax (because who wants to see excessive ear wax this early on a Saturday??).

11:15-11:45 am - finally able to take a lunch and get off my feet. I wore the wrong shoes. My feet hurt.

11:45 am-1:00 pm - looked in more ears and explained more times. Feet = pain. Oh, and the hospital had provided shirts for all the providers to wear. Long-sleeved. I was rather toasty. Good news, though, is that I saw a lot of people and got my boss's name out there. Publicity, publicity, publicity.

1:00-1:15 pm - took down my booth and drove home.

1:20 pm - changed into grubbies and started watching an episode of "As Time Goes By", planned to nap for a couple hours. I watched it for twenty minutes when...

1:40 pm - Mom called and invited me to a movie. I said no. Then I called her back and told her yes. Who needs sleep anyway?? The movie didn't start for 40 minutes, so I thought I could sit and relax, maybe nap a little, but...

1:45 pm - brother called. Brother had important things to say that I wanted to hear. So, eventually changed back into street clothes while talking to brother and finally had to tell him goodbye because...

2:05 pm - Mom picked me up for movie.

2:20-4:20 (ish) pm - watched "Elizabeth: The Golden Years". I really enjoyed it, more than the first movie, in fact. Queen Elizabeth I is one of my heroines; she totally fascinates me. I can recommend an excellent biography of her, if you're interested! And, if you like historical films, or movies with Clive Owen, you may like this movie!

4:30 pm - rested a bit and played a couple games of Yahtzee on my cell phone (I'm a little addicted.)

4:40 pm - rushed to Deseret Book to buy a present for my sister. I bought her a journal and a pen that lights up. The journal is funky and cute. My sister is 9.

4:43 pm - Dad called wondering where I was. I protested, "The party isn't 'til 5!" He responded, "I said between 4 and 5." I said I'd get there a.s.a.p., but not before 5.

5:08-7:00 pm - Sister's birthday party. We had pizza, salad, cake, ice cream, and ice cream cake. She opened presents and seemed to like everything she got. We watched college football - they were cheering for Alabama, but I had to leave before it ended, so I don't know who won.

7:00-8:30 pm - party at Celeste's. She just moved in to a new place and wanted to break it in with a party. For the first time, girls outnumbered guys at one of her parties. Seriously, it's usually me and her and then 2-4 guys. One of the guys is her ex, at least one guy is usually gay, and the others tend to be guys she's interested in. All of them are really nice and we have a lot of fun playing games. This time, her ex was the only guy and I finally got to meet two of Celeste's female friends that she keeps talking about. They are super nice and we got along really well.

8:30-11:30 pm - made candles at Cardine's with Cardine and Shiree. It was our first time making candles, and I think we did a great job! We colored them blue, gree, and orangy-red and scented them with cinnamon and sugar cookie scents. Seriously, I was impressed with us. It was a lot of fun and we learned a lot and now we have nice gifts to give away. Of course, one of the best things about doing things with Cardine and Shiree is talking with them. We always have such interesting conversations. However, I was beat so I probably didn't contribute anything too intellectual to the conversation, and I left fairly early by our standards.

12:00 am - after driving home, washing my face and etc., and reading my scriptures, I finally was able to turn off the light and go to sleep. It felt great to snuggle under my covers and close my eyes and know that I didn't have to wake up for nine hours instead of eight because of the time change. Aaaahhhh.

Sunday was a little better, but still quite hectic. Did you see that the Lions beat the Broncos 44 to 7??? I was so pleased! The Lions are my favorite team and the Broncos are my least favorite team. Sweet! Unfortunately, the Colts lost to the Patriots. Before the game started, I guessed the Pats would win, but then the Colts put forth a tremendous effort and made me believe they'd actually pull off a win. With less than 5 minutes to play, they were up 20 to 10! Then they either let the Pats have the game, or the Pats dug deep inside and pulled up something so amazing that the Colts couldn't do anything to stop 'em, but the Pats made two really great plays that put them up 24 to 20. Even worse, their defense was able to stop P. Manning from being his awesome self and the Colts were unable to convert their last possessions into points. Sigh. Too bad. At least the Lions won. And, getting to watch football always = good times.

6 comments:

Alyson said...

Wow! Sounds like a very busy weekend, but it sounds like you had a lot of fun. I've been trying to figure out a weekend that I might be able to come and visit, but I haven't been able to figure out a good time yet. We'll have to talk and see what we can come up with, and when Cassie can also come. And of course, we should invite Katie too...I think she's probably good for any weekend.

Mo Bloggin' said...

Sounds like you had a fun Saturday. Mine wasn't so much fun, but I still got to do a bunch of interesting things. I'm sorry that I haven't called and talked to you for such a long time. Maybe in a couple of days or so.

tearese said...

Sounds fun...except I skimmed the las t paragraph because I don't follow sports. At my last job I got to go to health fairs too, and it was kind of fun.

julie said...

Aly, whenever you two want to come down, you are welcome! My apartment may be teeny, but it's always at your disposal! Of course Katie can come too; the more the merrier. Wow - can we get more merry???

Mo, sorry your weekend wasn't much fun. Probably because you weren't hanging out with me and the fam. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Tearese, it's okay that you skimmed the sports paragraph. That wasn't premeditated - I found myself going on and on and on! :)

Melissa said...

What a fun and busy weekend! I am glad that I am not the only one that ever has those busy, hectic days. Glad that you were able to finally relax some. It was fun getting together the other night. It has been nice to get together and have dinner more that one a year. Thanks for getting me out of the house!

Cardine said...

You de-activated the comments on THAT post?