Thursday, October 30, 2008

Truly...

The truly remarkable thing is how truly ridiculous I am. And pedantic.* Which is one of my favorite words.

The bit of minutiae that tied those segments together here is the phrase "the truly ____ part/thing is..." I used a different word to fill in the blank, to fit with the rest of the paragraph. I didn't start out to do it, it just happened. In fact, it happened naturally for the Irrational segment, and when I started to use it for Fantasy Football, I almost didn't because I'd already used it and sometimes it's quite horrible to repeat a word/phrase too much. Then I thought it'd be fun to have it in each paragraph to see if anyone would notice, so I added it to the previous segments and made sure it was in the last. You see, I'm weird that way. I've gone back and bolded the phrase just for kicks.

I'm such a nerd.

In semi-related news, my roommate's most wonderful fiance did a good deed last night. It was partly for selfish reasons that he did it, but I don't care. It just goes to prove that if you say something over and over again, you can influence others enough to do it for you. I've mentioned my cake craving numerous times over the past few days and Jeff caught the fever. Last night, he went to buy a chocolate cake because he too was mega-craving cake, and when the store didn't have one, he made one! Oh happy day! It wasn't as good as my mom's, but it sufficed. Mmmm. He served me a really large piece with a glass of milk and I thought I was in heaven. They ate big pieces, too, and then went out of town today, leaving me the rest of the cake! Good grief! Sigh. At least that craving can finally be put to bed.

*used here it means emphasizing minutiae, not dull or unimaginative, which is another of its meanings.

3 comments:

tearese said...

so is it a synonym for pedestrian? When used in relation to literature I mean.

julie said...

Uhhh, they seem like they could be similar, but I wouldn't use them interchangeably. That's just me.

To be totally correct, "pedantic" is technically used with teaching - unimaginative and precise in teaching/using knowledge. However, I usually read it/hear it as being focused on the small details.

Framed said...

You make me laugh. That's a good thing.