Seriously, those Visa commercials tell the truth! After months of not much happening, my life seems to have slipped into the fast lane. Here's what's been happening:
1. I got a new church calling. I've been attending the singles ward (sporadically) for a few months, but most of you know that it typically takes awhile for a calling to be extended in singles wards. When I went to church Sunday the 15th, I hadn't been to my ward for a few weeks (for various reasons). I arrived early and sat in a corner pew to quietly read my scriptures until church started. I was accosted (not the best word) by the bishop, both his counselors, the Elders Quorum president, the Relief Society president, and the Executive Secretary (one at a time, not all together). The E.S. set up an appointment for me to meet with one of the bishopric members, so I knew I was getting a calling. I am once again (and forever???) a Sunday School teacher. I wasn't told specifically, but I'm pretty sure I'll be teaching Gospel Doctrine. I'm excited because I love teaching, and I love the New Testament.
2. I'm moving! I'm staying in the same town, at least for a year or so, but I'm getting my own apartment. I decided not to go to school at all, at least for a year or so, so I couldn't reconcile living at home any more - saving for school was the reason I moved home in the first place. I looked around for one-bedroom apartments and decided to get a studio apartment that is close to work. I really don't want a roommate; I'm ready for my very own place. I went into the rental office this morning before work, and it sounds like they'll have a unit ready for me May 7th!!!! That means I need to start packing! I've been in these studios before and they are tiny, but I don't really need that much room. I can't wait! I'll invite each of you (individually, of course, because it's so small) over for a party sometime.
3. Dating. Okay, in one instance, I'm not sure if what we're doing is actually, truly dating, but it's in that general direction. An old friend (he's 30!!!!) (inside joke) and I are experimenting with maybe being more than friends. Is that specific enough for you?? It's a little tough because we don't live in the same town, but it makes things a little interesting as well. It also means that it can't go too fast; I'm not ready for fast. There's more I could tell you, but I'm not going to. At least, not right now. Sorry. :)
The other instance is truly dating; I have a blind date this Saturday. And, before you get your unmentionables in a twist, I did inform the guy in the first instance about the blind date, though maybe not all the details. Anyhoo, a friend from college has been trying to set me up with Nice Guy for a few months. I've been pretty resistant (I don't like being set up) but finally agreed to it. It's taken several weeks to set a date and time that works for everyone, but we've finally decided to have breakfast at my friend's house this Saturday. I don't normally go for breakfast dates, especially at 8:30am, but I'm spending the rest of the day in St. George with Cardine to celebrate her birthday, so the morning was all that was available. My friend and her husband are moving next week, so it's this weekend or never. I was hoping for never. Sorry, I'm sure it will be fun - that's what I keep telling myself. :)
4. Work. This one is kind of cheating because my job is always busy and fast-paced, but attending the AAA convention in Denver last week seemed to accelerate things a bit. I learned a lot of things that I need to be doing, things that I want to start doing, and things we're doing wrong. I don't have enough time to implement all the things I want to do (so I shouldn't be blogging at work, but oh well)! I was so busy at the convention that I wasn't able to do much sightseeing. I managed to go to the Botanical Gardens and see the Big Bug exhibit; it was really neat. The fruit trees were in bloom, gorgeous, and perfumed the air with a heavenly scent! The day I went was sunny and 68 degrees; it was perfect. On the way home from Denver, we stopped at Buffalo Bill's grave. That's it for sightseeing. Oh, and I walked up and down the 16th Street Mall several times! That street is how I'll always picture Denver, because I walked it so much! It was a great week, for a few reasons.
5. Weight. This one doesn't actually belong under the heading "Life Coming At You Fast", but it's good news, and I want to share it. I've lost 15 pounds! Yeah! My secret? I've been walking a few days a week and eating less. I still let myself eat whatever I want, I just try not to eat a lot of anything all at once. I've been doing this for a couple months, and it's working well for me. I've never wanted to diet, so I like that I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I'm just trying to be healthy.
So, that's it. That's all my news. Life has taken some interesting turns and I'm pretty excited to see what's around the next bend.