Thursday, January 08, 2009

Greetings from Wyoming!

Yep, I'm back in the great state of Wyoming, this time in Casper. I got a call on Tuesday asking me if I could work an event this Friday and Saturday. I drove to Heber Wednesday night after getting off work then drove the rest of the way today. It's not as long a drive as Torrington or Guernsey, but long enough. Two weeks after my surgery. My mom thought I was crazy. I probably am. I just can't say no to a job! I didn't even get a chance to catch up from being gone for 2 weeks. I love driving and testing - it's hard to say no when I get the chance.

I'm going to start saying no, though. Today, when I had parked the trailer and hooked it up, I entered to find water leaks from the ceiling throughout the trailer. A couple months ago, we found a small leak at the front, where no one goes, and last month we found it had spread a little. We've tried to have it fixed, but obviously it wasn't. The front room's carpet is soaked and the back carpet (where I work) is wet, though not soaked. The ceiling tiles in both rooms are warped, browned, and some of them have broken and I had to remove them. It looks so white trash.

I texted my boss and told him that I won't take another job until the trailer is in better condition. I then told him that the guys here have asked me to come back to Casper in three weeks. I told them I'd have to check my schedule. If the trailer isn't in primo condition (as much as it can be since it's 10 years old) in two weeks, I'm not doing the job. Or any other. He didn't think I was serious, but I assured him I am. Oh, I am. He's not the one that has to sit there as people look around and wonder why the ceiling looks so crappy. I'm proud. I want to do a good job. I want to look professional and my surroundings represent me. If they look crappy, I feel like I look crappy.

Deep breath.

Another deep breath.

Okay, I feel better now. Kind of.

The next two days are going to be long. I'm testing over 120 people each day. I was told that tomorrow they're bringing troops in three sections. The last section is coming in at 5pm! I'm normally done by then! At least I don't have to start until 9am, so I'll get to sleep longer than normal (I usually start testing around 7). I'm glad I enjoy what I do. It definitely makes the day better. And, at least I'm in Wyoming. It's my favorite place to go for work. I like the people, I enjoy the drive, and I don't have to worry about someone kissing me. Woohoo! Oh, and there are plenty of places to gas up along the way.

With no lamp posts to jump in my path.

7 comments:

Framed said...

So how are you holding up physically? That's quite a long drive.

julie said...

It is a long drive, but I'm fine physically. No more sore than I was at home. Actually, the soreness is slowly disappearing - woohoo! Last night I walked up and down the hotel halls to get in some exercise. I was also looking for the fitness center but never found it. Felt good to walk.

Cardine said...

You mean that you don't have to worry about someone kissing you... yet. :) I know how you naturally draw people to you. It could happen soon!

Mellissa said...

Come one, the occasional lamp posts makes for an interesting trip, right?! How are you feeling physically after such a drive? Good luck with the trailer situation. Don't let your boss talk you into anything - he's way too good at it.

julie said...

Cardine, hahaha. Fortunately, my new testing system doesn't allow for anyone to ever be alone in the trailer with me, so I highly doubt it'll ever happen again. Whew!

Missy, I'm really doing ok, thanks. Except bored to tears as I'm waiting to find out if I'm done today. Thank heavens I get the internet on my phone! I'm really not very sore - it's definitely healing well. No complaints. :)

tearese said...

I didn't know you had the surgery already! I was waiting to see a post about it...maybe you did and I missed it? I hope you're feeling okay, especially after such a long drive!
I hate looking ghetto. I know what you're talking about.

tearese said...

Okay, so I just went back and read...I guess I missed stuff while I was on our trip. Sorry! I've read it now though.