As mentioned earlier, I've been a little down-in-the-dumps lately. That good cry I had did a lot to boost me out of the pit, but I realized that a bit more climbing needed to be done to get all the way out. I wasn't feeling as bad as before but wasn't quite my usual self.
So, I made some goals that are designed to help me get back to normal. I figure August is as good a time as any to make goals.
My Goals for August and Beyond:
1. Say 3 nice things about my boss every work day. I really like my boss, he's like a brother to me, but lately I've been unhappy with him. Since I still have 17 months left of my verbal contract, and quitting just because of a rough patch is stupid anyway, I thought long and hard how to overcome this bad attitude of mine. I can't do anything about the things he's doing to bother me except to react to them better. I chose this goal because it will help remind me of all the reasons why he's such a great guy and why I like him so much. Also, my coworker and I kind of egg each other on when we complain about our boss; if I'm saying nice things about him, I'm not encouraging her, she's not encouraging me, and we all feel better.
2. Walk 5 times a week. I am committed to this goal. So much so that I have changed my work schedule to help me accomplish it. You see, my evenings are so rarely free. Even when they are, I'm usually too tired or it's raining or something else keeps me from walking. I've tried unsuccessfully to wake up an hour earlier to walk in the mornings, but my body totally doesn't want to wake up at 6:30 if it doesn't have to. And, it doesn't consider walking as "having to". So, I now work 10am to 6pm, still wake up at 7:30, and walk for about 45 minutes. Today was my first day and it felt great. However, I'm worried that working 'til 6pm is going to be difficult to get used to. Oh well. It's a small price to pay.
3. No fast food. Exception: when travelling, but then I'll try to order healthier options. I think bad food = bad attitude. I'm not getting the nutrients I need to stay healthy, so I feel crappy. Plus, I've gained weight which really doesn't help the attitude. Now that I have a kitchen in which to cook (Yeah!!!), I can cook more, eat healthier, and start feeling better. However, as I discovered last week, just having a kitchen doesn't solve all woes. It has to be stocked with food that I want to eat. Last week I didn't go grocery shopping because I was leaving at the end of the week for a reunion, so by Wednesday I didn't have any food! Not just food I didn't feel like eating - I had NO FOOD. So, I ate out Wednesday and Thursday. Tsk tsk. Lesson learned.
4. One movie a week. I've been working too hard. I know that goes against the lack of motivation I talked about last time, but before that I was working too hard too often. No wonder I stopped wanting to work - it was all I had been doing for a couple months! So, in an effort to play a little (sitting on the couch watching Food Network doesn't count), I'll watch one movie a week. It doesn't have to be in a theatre, nor does it even have to be a rental. I have several movies at home that I enjoy watching that I don't view nearly as often as I could. However, there are several movies that have come out, or that are about to come out, that I would like to see, so I'm starting a list. Last week I watched Mummy 3. This week I'm not sure what I'll watch - maybe I'll rent something at Redbox tonight.
5. Church. I've started reading my scriptures nightly again (I stopped when I moved and couldn't find my French copy - even though my English copy was at the foot of my bed!), praying, and plan on attending my church meetings regularly again - starting this Sunday (though not my own ward - I'm visiting friends this weekend). It's a simple truth that doing these three things help me stay balanced and in good spirits. Why I ever stop, I have no idea.
Already, as I've started to work on these 5 goals, I feel better - even with the cold that's been coming on. Even though my body is getting sick, my spirits are healing. It feels good.
P.S. This has nothing to do with this post, but I wanted to mention it, just to keep you updated. Tomorrow night someone is coming to look at my room for rent. She's the only female who has shown interest in it, and from what I know of her at this point (very little), she has potential to be a fairly good fit. I'll let you know how it goes. :)